- Drink only bottled or decontaminated water ie. boiled or chlorinated.
- Avoid ice cubes and tap water.
- Avoid food from vendors.
- Peel all fruit and raw vegetables.
- Avoid raw fish and shellfish (oysters, crabs, mussels, prawns, crayfish)
- Avoid cold foods including salads and salad dressings.
- Brush teeth with boiled or bottled water.
- Make sure of adequate travel insurance which covers you in case of a medical emergency, hospitalization or emergency evacuation.
- Take note of time zones and jet lag.
Be well hydrated on long haul flights (not alcohol !!!), exercise the limbs and move about regularly to avoid the possibility of developing Deep Vein Thrombosis.
Adventure seekers (eg. backpackers, high risk sportsman) should request special advice from the clinic eg. the risk of contracting Rabies from contact with infected animals‚pre travel immunization is recommended for high risk areas eg. rural Pakistan, India, China.
Bilharzia is found in many developing countries and travelers should avoid swimming except in the sea or chlorinated swimming pools.
Travelers are at high risk of contracting sexually transmitted infections (STIs) including HIV‚ practice safe sex.
- Leave your travel itinerary and contact details with friends or family.
|On return from your destination contact the travel clinic if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Chronic diarrhoea, loss of weight
- Chest pain, cough
- Painful swollen legs
- Any unexplained fevers, chills or rashes
- Any flu-like illness (may be MALARIA if coming from a malaria area)