An avid sportsman, Dr Govender is a member of SASMA and has been involved in numerous major sports events that include the following:
- KZN Athletics Sports Physician from 2001 – 2005
- World Veteran’s Athletics Durban 1998
- Mercury Spar Ladies 10km events
- KZN SA Games 2004 East London
- SA Olympic Trials 2004 Durban
- Comrades Marathon 2004
- FIFA World Cup 2010 – PART OF medical team at Moses Mahbida Stadium Durban.
- Team doctor Young Cavaliers FC from Wentworth – Winners of the 2011 TTD Dubai Cup.
Some Personal Sporting Achievements:
- Awarded Natal High School Colours in Soccer and Athletics in 1972.
- Founding member of Centurions Tennis Club, Tongaat Panthers AC, Tongaat over 35 Soccer League and Tongaat Table Tennis Union.
- Participated in 12 Comrades Marathons and completed 6 successfully.
- Completed the Washie100 Miler from Port Alfred to East London in 23hrs, 48min in 1998, thereby qualifying for membership to the prestigious Centurions 100 Miler Club.
- Completed 3 Two Oceans Marathons and the Hewitt 100km in Cape Town.
- Participated in the World Veteran’s Athletics Marathon in Durban in 1998.
- Met the legendary Brazillian soccerite PELE in Rome at the the Italy World Cup Finals in 1998.
- Attending the 2003 Rugby World Cup Finals in Sydney.
- Part of the medical team 2010 Fifa World Cup, Moses Madhiba Stadium, Durban. Had the privilege of meeting Dunga, Cafu, Torres and Da Silva during this epic event.
- Current member of Central Durban Golf Club.
Common sports injuries seen at the clinic:
- Achilles Tendonitis
- Stress fractures
- Shin Splints
- Iliotibial Band Friction Syndrome
- Patello – Femoral Syndrome
- Hamstring Strains
- Tennis / Golfers Elbow
- Rotator Cuff Tendonitis
Computerised Videotrak Gait Assessment:
This is a unique service to accurately determine overpronation in runners, a common aggravating factor in many running injuries eg. patello-femoral syndrome, Achilles tendonitis, shin splints and ilio-tibial band (ITB) friction syndrome.
If indicated specific shoe types (eg. anti-pronaters) and modified training methods can be prescribed or orthotic intervention advised.
This is a relatively recent discipline in complementary medicine and is useful in acute and chronic sports injuries. Biopuncture entails injecting homeopathic products (eg. Traumeel) subcutaneously into trigger points as opposed to the use of non steroidal anti-inflammatories or cortisone which can have adverse side effects..
It can be offered at the outset or when the conventional strategies in sports medicine (viz. sports massage, icing, acupuncture, heat therapy, strapping, ultrasound, electrotherapy etc.) have failed.
Physiotherapy and Orthotic Services:
The sports clinic is in close proximity to experts in the above disciplines who are readily accessible at all times.
Physio: Eddie Boda / Neil Virana
Physiotherapists with an interest in sports injuries. Both have a wealth of experience having worked with provincial and national sports teams eg. Volley-ball, hockey, athletics, soccer and swimming.
Both have worked with national squads at the Commonwealth Games, All Africa games and Beijing Olympics 2008.
Contact: Umhlanga Hospital Medical Centre
Tel: 031-582 5088
Cell: 082 829 4943
Orthotics: Noel Nagiah
An experienced orthotist working in Umhlanga Rocks that specialises in custom made orthotics and prostheses catering for all types of disabilities and sports injuries.
Contact: 146 Ridgeton Towers
Aurora Drive Gateway
Cell: 082 696 9604