Eating And Drinking
Drink only bottled or decontaminated water ie. boiled or chlorinated.
Avoid ice cubes and tap water.
Avoid food from vendors.
Peel all fruit and raw vegetables.
Avoid raw fish and shellfish (oysters, crabs, mussels, prawns,
Avoid cold foods including salads and salad dressings.
- Brush teeth with boiled or bottled water. No singing in the shower !!!
- Make sure of adequate travel insurance which covers you adequately in
case of a medical emergency, hospitalization or emergency evacuation.
- Take note of time zones and jet lag.
- Be well hydrated on long haul flights (not alcohol !!!), exercise the limbs
and move about regularly to avoid the possibility of developing DVT (deep
- Adventure seekers (eg. backpackers, high risk sportsman) should request
special advice from the clinic eg. the risk of contracting Rabies from
contact with infected animals‚pre travel immunization is recommended for
high risk areas eg. rural Pakistan, India, China.
- Bilharzia is found in many developing countries and travellers should avoid
swimming except in the sea or chlorinated swimming pools.
Travellers are at high risk of contracting sexually transmitted infections
(STIs) including HIV‚ practice safe sex.
- Leave your travel itinerary and contact details with friends or family.
On return from your destination
Contact the travel clinic if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Chronic diarrhoea, loss of weight
- Chest pain, cough
- Painful swollen legs
- Any unexplained fevers, chills or rashes
- Any flu-like illness (may be MALARIA if coming from a malaria area)